Lady Violet is one of my favorite character, because of all these wonderful rejoinders :
- "What is a weekend?"
- "No Englishman would dream of dying in someone else’s house."
- "I’m a woman, Mary. I can be as contrary as I choose."
- "No one wants to kiss a girl in black."
- "Oh really! It’s like living in a second-rate hotel, where the guests keep arriving and no one seems to leave." (Violet on the soldiers who staying at the convalescent home at Downton Abbey).
- ”Oh, thank God! I hate Greek tragedies, where all the action happens off-stage!”
- "I don’t dislike him, I just don’t like him. Which is quite different."
- "Oh, I should steer clear of May. Marry in May, rue the day."
- "No doubt you will regard this as rather unorthodox, my pushing into a man’s bedroom uninvited."
- "But if there were relapses, what then? Amputation in the dining room, resuscitation in the pantry!"
- "I was watching her the other night, when you spoke of your wedding. She looked like Juliet on awakening in the tomb."
- "Don’t be defeatist, dear, it’s very middle class."
- Mrs Crawley : “I’ll take that as a compliment” & Violet’s response : “Oh, I must have said it wrong”
- "I do hope I’m interrupting something."
- "What is this drivng mainia?"
- "1920! Is it to be believed? I feel old as Methuselah."
And my favorite .. :
Richard Carlisle: “I’m leaving in the morning, Lady Grantham. I doubt we’ll meet again.”
Violet: “Do you promise?”